Monday, August 16, 2010

Day Two: Whirlwind

I slept SO well last night... After sharing some drinks with Lloyd and Irina, which is totally customary and I wanted to try real Estonian drinks so we did, I was falling asleep on my feet.  That's when I wrote the last post, so let me supplement the things I missed from last night.

I MADE MY FIRST ESTONIAN PURCHASE (of this trip).  A CELL PHONE!  It's tiny, smaller than any phone I've ever owned before, it has a flashlight on the top and is so European, I love it.  We went to the Selver which is like Estonian WalMart, and got it there along with some groceries.  I have a tasty pastry waiting for me downstairs in fact, because I wanted to try it.  It's so fun being here.  It's hot though, and humid... about 85 degrees yesterday, and today's looking similar.  

For dinner last night, we sort of just grazed through everything that was there... I had a few tomatoes fresh from Karl's mother's garden (Karl is my host father, and he's not here right now because he's out in the "country" but his brother and some friends stopped by yesterday, and I met them, and they brought us some goodies) and a cucumber, and some freshly made pickles from Karl's mom, and some cheese called Hollandi (ESTONIAN CHEEEEEESE!  So good...a combo of the tastes of Provolone and Mozzarella) and some salami and "viener" which are small sausages :)  I'm learning Estonian!  I can say "My name is" (Minu nimi on...) and where I live and goodbye (nagamiste) and lots of little things I can't remember right now so I guess I don't really know that much yet but I'm learning!

Interesting: My computer, whose homepage is usually Google, took me to Google Eesti today, so my Google is now in Estonian, and my Facebook yesterday made me jump through massive (creepy, almost) hoops to sign in, because it said I was signing in from an unknown location... it pulled up pictures of my friends and made me name them with 100% accuracy... if I got any wrong, I'd be blocked out of it!  CRAZY.  To my friends: you can thank me later for knowing you :) :)

Anyway, I'm off to Estonian breakfast now, and then to go meet Don and Karolina!!  More later :)

Maintain,
Virginia

1 comment:

  1. so happy for you! :) glad you're having a good first couple days!! - lindsey m c newlove

    ReplyDelete