Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day One: I'm TIRED.

So here we are in Tallinn. First of all may I just say that I’m so glad that Lloyd came with me and didn’t make me do this all on my own, because some of the airports are terrifying, and the many things are just very different. If I were navigating this on my own, I’d be absolutely lost and scared in a strange eastern European country.

Irina met us at the airport, and brought me a beautiful rose. We got a taxi and drove to her house, and then spent some time outside talking and eating. Lloyd wasn’t kidding when he said she liked to cook and likes for us to eat. She made the most wonderful soup that was tomato based, I think, with rice, beef, potatoes and dill and it was so good. We ate outside, and enjoyed the garden, and I nearly got stung by Estonian bees like 12 times, but either way it was nice to be outside… except for the heat… it was probably 85 degrees here today with the humidity and Irina keeps calling it “Florida” when we walk outside. She’s wonderful. I’m learning Estonian already from her (I live at Sihi Kookskomet Neeli, minus the spelling) and working on phrases.  I learned how to take the bus today, how to translate the bus schedule and how to read the days on the schedule. Irina is gentle with me but firm… she’ll make me read her what is written somewhere and then tell me what it means. I am going to like it very much here.

I met Tiina today too, and she is WONDERFUL. She’s about my age, and gives Lloyd as much hell as I do. I know we’re going to be friends. She’s great, and funny, and she gets to come to America in January!! She’s going to help translate when the other Estonian musicians come to Ada.

My feet are tired, and I am stuffed, but it was a great first (half) day in Tallinn. Tomorrow, we’re meeting with Don and Karolina from the school, shopping in the afternoon if I can drag Lloyd to do that, and then meeting up with Virgo and some of his friends to have dinner so Lloyd can talk business with them. (Virgo is a saxophonist from Tallinn who is coming to play with the orchestra in the winter.)


Maintain,
Virginia

2 comments:

  1. If I just keep channeling Janet, I'm fine! I keep thinking, "JanJan would like to know about this :)"

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete