Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day 70: Riga

So I am in Latvia currently, in Riga, waiting for Laura to come join me here and it's a very cool place that we're staying... www.thenaughtysquirrel.com baha.  Having to tell the taxi driver I was staying at The Naughty Squirrel was quite amusing, especially since he didn't understand that I wasn't staying at the "Steak and Fish Hostel" ... I had written the information above an ad for a steak and fish restaurant so he thought I was staying there, and I'm thinking... you drive here... you work here... have you EVER heard of a place like that EVER BEFORE EVER?! 

But anyway, being on the bus yesterday was pretty nice... the seats were comfy and there was a decent amount of room, and I met a nice Latvian couple that had been to America and saw a shirt I was wearing that said "Cape Cod" so he decided he liked me :)  We saw some awful wrecks and nasty things on the road while we drove, but thankfully it was dark so I couldn't really tell how snowy it was outside. 

Getting from the bus stop to the hostel was a bit of a nightmare, and I mastered getting TO the Old Town, but then trying to navigate the streets with: a foreign language, a suitcase, drunk screaming men everywhere, and poor lighting was a bit out of my league.  I ended up caving and getting a taxi, hence the aforementioned steak and fish hostel story, but I found it and got settled in here... it's great, very modern and fun, and they have lots of cool things to do here, and the people are all very nice.  I met one of my roommates this morning (Weird to wake up in a room of people you don't know, but amusing to wake up to a room of people you don't know and already have one thing in common: you all loathe the dude snoring SO LOUDLY).

Anyway, LAURA IS HERE.  So I'm out.

Maintain,
Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment