Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 20: Back To School Night

Rough day... it's Thursday, so I know that's kind of a duh but here's a quick recap before I go to sleep:

I had Grace this morning, which was great... she's learning a lot, and doing well, but I still struggle with trying to get all the information into each class that I need her to get, because the classes are pretty short for her.  She had her first listening quiz today, though, and did well, so that was good.

Next we had handbells... the group is good, and they play well, but there are two girls who are disruptive and problematic in every class they're in together, and today, while we were playing a song, they were playing like idiots and making faces and wild gestures, and when we stopped, I said, "You should be honored to be in this class... there are many people who wanted to take this class, and I have no problem kicking you out if you don't want to be here."  I made them stay after during break too, and talked to them then as well, and I'm hoping it won't be a problem again, but I'm nowhere near confident haha.  

Unfortunately, I also had the 1st graders today who usually are not problem children, but ended up being awful today, and I had to separate them as well.  We did however use the "3 R's" video in class that JP, Tyler, Vince, and Korey made :)  We're talking about recycling and making instruments out of recycled materials, so that was fun.

We had this open house tonight, so we had to stay after school and we got dinner and everything, but it was kind of a bummer, because we pulled a 12 hour day and only 10-15 parents ended up showing up.  Ugh.  Thankfully, Karolina gave me a ride home :)

And now, it's a terrible thunderstorm outside, making for a great end to a great Thursday.  It's super windy and scary and EEEEK.  

Also, check out the story on the ONU web page about the trip :)  Pretty cool.

More soon.

Maintain,
Virginia

3 comments:

  1. oh yes, very cool Virginia! I especially like the picture of you on that overlook. Irina and her son brought Sarah and I there during that first week. Very beautiful!! It looks as though Irina approved of your outfit otherwise you would have been wearing one of her scarves. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are getting a very well-rounded experience dealing with the ups and downs of teaching. Hoping for more UP moments for you in the coming days! Enjoyed the piece on the ONU page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love handbells, hope you got the little buggers straightened out. I find a simple - that is not acceptable in this classroom (no names, but pointed eye contact)- is usually enough, but if not, assign the worst playing students to their bells and make them stand apart and listen. HAHA

    ReplyDelete